Many locally owned and operated business owners do not even consider branding their business with radio, t.v. or billboards. Why? They think it’s too darn expensive…they figure they just can’t afford it.
Well, after decades of working with locally owned and operated businesses, we have seen many business owners, who thought they couldn’t afford branding, learn otherwise. You may be thinking, “I do quite well…I don’t really need branding.” If you are one of the lucky, rare birds who, as a business owner, you have reached your ultimate business objectives through very little marketing (especially in the economy we’ve had over the past handful of years), then don’t worry about reading on. For the rest of you…here’s why you should consider branding. If you have felt the following you may be a candidate for the branding path:
- You are tired of months with high sales and then months with really low sales.
- You feel like you are constantly competing on price because of the fierce competition in the market.
- You do a bunch of marketing like print, some internet marketing, etc. and yet, you aren’t sure that’s going to be enough to enable you to reach your ultimate business and personal goals (whether it be doubling your annual revenue, selling the business in the next decade for a healthy profit or simply being able to retire and pass a thriving business down to a relative).
In short, branding allows businesses to propel themselves to a different level all together. Yes, it costs money, but, there are ways to do it strategically and effectively – while being affordable. It also takes time. You have to be the kind of business owner that can afford to do this kind of marketing (on top of your call-to-action marketing that creates leads right away) and have the patience to let it work for six months to a year without pulling it. Otherwise, don’t even start. You’ll end up wasting your money. Consistency is the key to marketing in general. But, it’s particularly important when it comes to implementing a branding campaign on radio, t.v. or billboards.
It is our experience across the board that branding does the following:
- It levels out the peaks and valleys of sales throughout each month, over the course of the fiscal year.
- It helps companies maintain or even increase their margins (people tend to trust branded companies and often are willing to pay a little more).
- It boosts traffic on websites and positively impacts internet marketing campaigns, print campaigns and word-of-mouth.
- It allows companies to experience growth like never before.
Again, it does take time…but, in the end, if you plan to be around for another five to ten years plus, then, you have a year to allow something to take root. After that year, you’ll never look back, if the branding campaign is done with a consistent, effective message and with the right mediums that reach your targeted customer. Get some help (a seasoned marketing firm or person) and be prepared to spend some money (but it should and can be affordable). Think of your branding investment like a 401K plan…just put it in and trust it will grow over time…because it will!